
Back in January I decided to do something big, something that would push me past my comfort level. I decided to run a race. I have been training all year on and off. When I committed to run a half marathon, my sister Becky printed up a training schedule for me to follow. It was a 12 week training that began with 3 mile runs and continued to add a mile each week. It rotated running days with long bike rides and strength training. Saturdays were the long runs. So a month into the training you are running 6, 7, 8 miles etc. It really takes a big time commitment. I found myself running late in the evenings, that being the only time I could cram into my busy day. Early in my training I became lazy and was not sticking to it. My sister called me to give me "the talk". She told me that if I didn't stick with my schedule I would not be able to make the long Saturday runs, and if I didn't keep up on my long Saturday runs, I would never build up the endurance to finish the half marathon (13 miles). I needed that boost from her. I got back on track and was pleased to find that I could run for several miles and not be winded, my legs started to get toned and shapely...with my chicken legs, that was a big bonus! ;o) It felt good to run.
Near the end of my training, I had a combination of things happen. I had crazy days at work, some stuff I was dealing with at home, and I just fell into a funk. I quit my training for about 2 weeks!! By the time I pulled myself out of whatever rut I was in, the race was only 2 weeks away. I started to run again, and quickly realized that I had lost some of the endurance I had built up and that I would not be able to finish the half marathon. I changed my race to the 10K. I thought about the story of the Tortoise and the Hare. The Hare thought he could just sprint to the end and finish, but it was the Tortoise who remained steady, kept his pace, and finished in the end. I think that there are a lot of areas in my life that are just like this race. I forget to put in the slow and steady work, and think I can just wing it or sprint to the end, but life doesn't always work that way. I wonder how many things I will not be prepared for when the end of my life comes....how many things that I procrastinated, figuring I could just do it really quickly at the end.
I was disappointed in myself for changing races, because I know deep down that if I had been more committed, I could have continued my training and run the race that I set out to run. Excuses, are the reasons that I quit my training.
Race day came last Saturday. I was really excited to run and it was an awesome experience. I set a goal to run the 10K in 55 minutes which is a 9 minute mile. The run was great. It was exhilarating to run with all those people. I think that over 800 people registered. I took 4th place in my age division and 10th over all. I ran the race in 59:14. Not quite my goal, but under an hour so that is good. I think if I had not stopped to walk for a minute at one point, I would have taken 3rd. :o) That is the competitive side of me coming out! The end of the race was a little funny...as I rounded the corner to the last stretch of the race, I could see a huge banner strung across the road up ahead. The Finish! I surged ahead and sprinted as fast as I could. As I neared the banner I realized that people were not stopping. Up ahead about 1/3 mile I saw another banner that was the finish line. HOLY CRAP! I have to keep sprinting??!! I had spent all my energy, but didn't want to slow down just as I was approaching the end and my family waiting to see me finish. I continued to run full speed the rest of the way. I about fell over when I crossed! How exciting to have my kids and husband there to see me accomplish my goal.
Next year, I WILL run a half marathon. I will be the tortoise, not the hare.
Near the end of my training, I had a combination of things happen. I had crazy days at work, some stuff I was dealing with at home, and I just fell into a funk. I quit my training for about 2 weeks!! By the time I pulled myself out of whatever rut I was in, the race was only 2 weeks away. I started to run again, and quickly realized that I had lost some of the endurance I had built up and that I would not be able to finish the half marathon. I changed my race to the 10K. I thought about the story of the Tortoise and the Hare. The Hare thought he could just sprint to the end and finish, but it was the Tortoise who remained steady, kept his pace, and finished in the end. I think that there are a lot of areas in my life that are just like this race. I forget to put in the slow and steady work, and think I can just wing it or sprint to the end, but life doesn't always work that way. I wonder how many things I will not be prepared for when the end of my life comes....how many things that I procrastinated, figuring I could just do it really quickly at the end.
I was disappointed in myself for changing races, because I know deep down that if I had been more committed, I could have continued my training and run the race that I set out to run. Excuses, are the reasons that I quit my training.
Race day came last Saturday. I was really excited to run and it was an awesome experience. I set a goal to run the 10K in 55 minutes which is a 9 minute mile. The run was great. It was exhilarating to run with all those people. I think that over 800 people registered. I took 4th place in my age division and 10th over all. I ran the race in 59:14. Not quite my goal, but under an hour so that is good. I think if I had not stopped to walk for a minute at one point, I would have taken 3rd. :o) That is the competitive side of me coming out! The end of the race was a little funny...as I rounded the corner to the last stretch of the race, I could see a huge banner strung across the road up ahead. The Finish! I surged ahead and sprinted as fast as I could. As I neared the banner I realized that people were not stopping. Up ahead about 1/3 mile I saw another banner that was the finish line. HOLY CRAP! I have to keep sprinting??!! I had spent all my energy, but didn't want to slow down just as I was approaching the end and my family waiting to see me finish. I continued to run full speed the rest of the way. I about fell over when I crossed! How exciting to have my kids and husband there to see me accomplish my goal.
Next year, I WILL run a half marathon. I will be the tortoise, not the hare.
I will post pictures soon. This picture is from a fun run that I ran a few months before the final race. That is my sweet mother in law, Cheryl.
1 comment:
Congrats girl you did it!!! Great job!
Post a Comment