Friday, September 26, 2008

Im a republicrat







I applied to be in an organization called Leadership Pocatello. It is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce. Only about 26 people are selected. We meet once a month for an entire day and learn different leadership skills. Yesterday and today we had our overnight retreat. Before the retreat they told us that we needed to take a list of different issues ie: environment, healthcare, taxes, iraq, etc and decide what was most important to us. Then we had to study the different candidates and decide who was better. When we got to the retreat we had to discuss these same things in a group and come to a group consensus.

I was really stressing about this for a few weeks because, as embarrassed as I am to say it, I have never really taken the time to figure out where I stand on politics. I always just leaned towards what my parents voted. I dont even know enough about each party to decide if I am republican or democrat....thus I have dubbed myself a republicrat. ;o) I really want to decide for myself what I believe and to back that decision with facts that I have searched out on my own. I talked to several people whose opinions I respect. I had the discussion in the groups at my retreat, I did some online research and I am still feeling very overwhelmed, confused and frustrated. I don't know who the right person is. I don't know who is being honest. When people this week have tried to sway me to their position, I want them to be able to back up with FACTS why they stand where they stand... this is a very hard thing to accomplish. I am not knowledgeable about different aspects of the issues. This makes it really hard to understand a lot of what is going on. During the height of my experience, I became very overwhelmed and anxious about our world. Politics make you take a good hard look at how bad things really are and it is scary. At the end of it all, I did come to my conclusion.

I will turn to the Lord and pray about it. That is the best that I can do at this point. He can help me to sort out the confusion. And most importantly, I will be praying for this country. We need it!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you are back. See you Monday and you can tell us all about it

Liz said...

Ok, first of all..awesome of you for getting to be in that group!! You will learn a lot it sounds like. Secondly, I remember being in your spot years ago and wondering if I should even vote because I didn't want to make a difference in something I knew nothing about. I love you and know you will make the choice that you feel is right. I just pray that we all look deep down and be humbled and start helping the Country to start on the right path. You are awesome!

Cami said...

very inspiring...parties aside, our country is need of some serious blessings!!

I am a political junkie...can't get enough of it.

Cami

Emma said...

Tenae, I would ask that you take some time to look up congressman Ron Paul from Texas who was running for president on the republican ticket and has since endorsed Chuck Baldwin from the Constitutionalist party. I once heard it said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. This country has voted over and over again for a democrat or republican who each promise change. But what do we have to show for it. more taxes, more government invasion into our private lives, Trying to pass a 700 billion dollar bailout? I thought they were smarter than that. And the list goes on. I side more with the constitutionalist party because they practice what they preach and they stand for small limited government. Who doesn't want less tax, less government involvment,less lying, less spending....... Sorry I will get off my soap box I just want every one to know about chuck baldwin because the media give him the cold sholder. All I ask is that you look at Ron Paul, Chuck Baldwin, and the constitutionalist party and see if their views and stance on issues are in line with your own. I know that Change starts with each one of us individually voting what we feel coinsides with our beliefs. Tenae I love you alot and this is not a harsh or harping note I just wanted to share with you something I feel could change america. All the best Your Brother Ben