Potty humor is running rampant around my house. My 6 year old thinks it’s hilarious and the more attention you give to the offending word or pharase, the more he says it. A few weeks ago he was on a roll and throwing out all sorts of delightful commentary. I had warned him I would put soap in his mouth but he continued. I finally got fed up and turned to grab the soap. I didn’t have a soap bar nearby so I grabbed the foaming soap out of a bottle. I squirted a 1/2 pump of foam onto his tongue. He immediately started crying because he said it burned. So I helped him wash it out quickly and he was fine. (I had never used that kind before). It did the trick for awhile.
This morning while I was helping Kelsey get ready for a choir performance, Kaiden was running around my bedroom spouting a sentence over and over. My verbal reprimand only seemed to encourage him and he looked at me, smirked and repeated it again. SIGH. I really hate it when you have to follow through on a threat. I picked him up, sat him on the counter and grabbed a brand new bar of soap. I think I only had soap in my mouth once growing up….it was so gross and I remember it sticking in my teeth. My little brother Jeff had soap in his mouth ALL THE TIME. In fact he liked it and would chew on it. Well it looks like Kaiden inherited the soap loving gene.
What I hoped would deter him from saying bad words, backfired. After we got his mouth all rinsed out he decided he really liked the soap and grabbed it to put it in his mouth again. I told him no several times and finally had to put the soap out of his reach. He said, “Mom, if you don’t give me the soap I am going to say that word again.” I wasn’t really sure what to say to that! Not exactly how I planned that to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment