Friday, July 10, 2009

Kicking my Coke Habit


Easier said than done! There is nothing better than an ice cold glass of Coca-Cola with lots of ice! LOVE IT!!
I have been contemplating giving up soda for a while now. I work at a hotel that has a restaurant and so I have a fountain soda machine at my disposal all day long. It wouldn't be bad if I only had one a day but I refill my cup several times...okay more like 5-7 times. I get these dull headaches in the afternoon and I just feel sluggish and a little sick. I know it is from all the caffeine and sugar. That alone should give me a big enough motivation to stop but I have to face it. I'm addicted. Isn't that the first step? Admitting you have a problem?
When I left for my family reunion in June I decided not to take any pop with me. I knew I could buy it at the gas station in Island Park if I really got desperate but thought it would be a good opportunity to try to quit. I bought a big honkin coke at McDonald's on my way out of town...my last hurrah.
I stuck to it and did not drink any pop at the reunion. We are talking 5 days people!! It helped that my brothers and sisters encouraged me to keep at it. I was amazed at the changes I saw after a few days. I didn't get tired in the afternoon and I didn't have any headaches (after 2 days). I drank tons and tons of water. I was soooo thirsty! When I drink coke I don't ever want to drink water and I keep getting more and more dehydrated. I felt really great and was ready to make the change permanent.
I lasted a few days at work with out any pop but then started with just one at lunch and it spiralled downhill from there. I am right back to where I started. I feel like crap again!
So I am making another go at it. Wish me luck. I better stock up on the Advil.

5 comments:

Spilletts said...

That's so funny! I tell myself everyday that Im going to quit drinking my Pepsi. One day I will cut down. Im like you and drink 4-5 a day. I know I would feel better and maybe I would lose this gut. Good-luck love Cori

craig&susan said...

I'll have a nice big glass of Ice water waiting for you at Rotary. haha. good luck

Unknown said...

Your so dang funny! I kicked the habit 2 1/2 months ago. I feel great! I even have lost weight from the dang soda.(not that you need too, you need to gain some) I drink NO soda's. WATER, WATER and crystal light.:)

Kristi said...

but the holiday inn has the BEST soda in the world!!! i can't blame you for having one on hand at all times! :) good luck sweet sista.

Tenae said...

Crap! Susan caught me drinking a coke at Rotary today. Coke-1 Tenae-0.