Friday, March 20, 2009

Are you smarter than a 5th Grader?


At Kendall's Parent Teacher conference we were sitting at a table with Kendall's teacher going over some of his work. She was putting him on the spot and asking him to answer questions. The long pause with him trying to remember the correct answer took me back to an old elementary memory.
I am standing in front of my teacher at her desk. She is rapid fire asking me my math facts in front of the class and I am counting on my fingers behind my back. We are not supposed to count on our fingers but I got so nervous that I couldn't come up with the answers without my fingers to count on. That was pressure!

Kendall's teacher looked at me like she was going to ask me to answer and I panicked. I had NO IDEA what the heck she was talking about. Maybe she saw the fear in my eyes and had mercy on me because she moved on without putting me on the spot.
So I ask you....can you answer these 5th grade questions? Put your answers in your comment and no cheating off the internet! I want your answers coming from your brain without help!
These are actual questions from Kendall's parent teacher conference papers.

Which event happened first?
1. Treaty of Paris signed in 1783 or Benedict Arnold becomes a traitor?
2.Winter at Valley Forge or Battle of Bunker Hill?
3.Colonist's Victory at Saratoga or French join Revolution on Colonists' side?
4.Jim bought a package of chicken that had a mass of 1 kilogram 500 grams and a package of sausage that was 950 grams. He barbecued 500 grams of sausage and 750 grams of chicken. How much meat was left in kilograms and grams?
5.Which city is closest to Australia's capital? Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane?
6.What year did Tad Lincoln move into the White House? 1861, 1865, 1901?

2 comments:

Kristi said...

what a mean teacher...

The Happy Halls said...

Are you kidding me? I didn't know the answer to one single question! I'm sure Dad could answer them. He's a walking Brainiac - Kendall you are so smart! Love Ya. Grma Hall