Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Random Christmas thoughts and a move

*This is a really random post and there are not very good transitions....just lots of things in my head* Fair warning








Our Christmas decorations this year will be a little Charlie Brownish. I am not putting up much more than the tree because we will be moving the weekend after Christmas. We had fun putting the ornaments on and our tree is a mish mash this year. I usually have a tree upstairs that is only for me to decorate and it is beautiful. Then we put a tree downstairs for the family ornaments. This year we mixed the two. I have to admit it doesnt look bad. As I was passing out the ornaments to the kids I realized that it doesnt really matter how it looks as long as the kids enjoy themselves and I help to build a wonderful Christmas memory for them. Sometimes I let little things stress me out. For example, when I pull out all the Christmas boxes and my kids start to tear into them, I get uptight and stressed. This time I didnt mind. I enjoyed their enthusiasm. I remembered what it felt like as a child to pull out the familiar ornaments and decor. I remembered one of my favorite things to do was lay down on the floor with my head under the bottom branches of the tree. I would look up through the branches at the lights and squint my eyes so that the lights were blurry...I loved it. This year I want to be sure to relax and not get stressed out. I want to slow down and enjoy the season with my children instead of rushing through it. I want to take the time to teach them the real meaning of Christmas and find ways to give service.
I am so glad my shopping is done. That is one less thing to worry about. I was done before Thanksgiving! I am really suprised at just how much that alone has made a difference in my stress level.
One of the cool things about working at a hotel is we do occasionally see or meet famous people. Last week I met Micheal McLean. I was in the lobby decorating our tree when I saw him checking in. At first I was not sure if it was him, so I just asked him and he got a big smile on his face and chatted with me for awhile. I waved my arm over to the girls in my office and he walked right over and talked to all of us for about 10 minutes. He was in town to perform the Forgotten Carols. I thought he was very nice and genuine. He joked that the last time he was in Pocatello he almost died because the lighting above the stage at Pocatello High fell on his head!
I am finally accepting the fact that we are moving and I need to get packing! I am so sad about moving from this house, ward and neighborhood but am realizing that it is time for me to grow and there must be a reason that things did not fall into place for us to stay here. We have found a home to rent on Satterfield. We have been looking for 4 months and this is the only thing that has worked out. It is a beautiful home and I am sure we will love living there. Hopefully it will be the last stop before we are ready to buy a home. I am really over the whole moving thing and am looking forward to the day when I know we will be staying in one place for a very long time.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The new house is beautiful. And the underwear meltdown is quite humorous. What fun!! I love reading that we all moments.

Unknown said...

Girl, I love you so much! You sound like me this year.I just let the kids dig in too. I let them eat as much candy of the gingerbread house that we made and they loved it! They decorated a lot of the tree this year too and I love they way that it is.(Lately I think just let them be little!)That's awesome you got to meet Michael McLean! Lucky! I so been wanting to see the forgotten carols!I'm sorry you have to move but it looks like a way cute home! Sorry for the novel just have not talked to you F-O-R-E-V-E-R!

Ramsey said...

We will miss you but it looks like you have found a beautiful home! I will especially miss Kylie in Primary! She is such a fun girl! Also, your tree looks beautiful!

Cami said...

Your new home looks beautiful....but I am dissapointed that you don't get to stay longer. I am sure great things are just around the corner!

Cassandra McCashland said...

TENAE!!! Its Cassandra McCashland!!! Just wondering how you are doing!! your kids are getting SOOOOOOOO big! They are so cute to!! Tell Kelsey that I say HI and hope she is having fun in choir and in Middle School!! PS....goobermccashland@gmail.com