Sunday, October 19, 2008

Bah Humbug

I know Bah Humbug is generally a Christmas phrase, but that is the best way to describe how I am feeling about Halloween this year. I don't know why I am feeling this way. I love Autumn and the whole fall thing but am finding myself increasingly annoyed with Halloween. I have never liked trick or treating as an adult. I always make Kenny take the kids. I don't know why but I just don't like it. Maybe I would enjoy it if it wasn't FREEZING cold every year.

This year I am really annoyed at the ridiculous prices for costumes. I took the kids shopping for their costumes and had to try really hard to be excited. I have a hard time paying $50 for a costume that will be worn once, in the dark, covered by a coat. What happened to the days when we threw costumes together with things we had around the house? I can remember most of the costumes I had when I was little and they were so creative! I don't think I ever had a store bought costume. When ranting about this to Kenny, he pointed out that if I was a stay at home mom I probably would have more time to make creative costumes...good point, but that wont be changing any time soon so store bought it is. We made it out of the store with a few pieces bought so that we can put together our own costumes. It was tough finding something for a 12 year old that, in her words, "looks cute". I tried to explain that the point is not to look cute but I got an eye roll. My mom brought over a fun costume for Kelsey so I think we are all set.

A few weeks ago Kylie asked to have a Halloween Party. At first I didn't really want to because of my afore mentioned attitude problem but I knew that she really needed a boost of self confidence in the friend area. Most of the time she is misunderstood by her peers and kids are very cruel to her sometimes. I helped her plan the party and make invitations. I took her to buy decorations and other stuff for the big event. She was really nervous that no one would come (that has happened to her before) The girls arrived and they had a blast! We decorated cookies, made caramel apples, made Halloween masks and drank hot apple cider. After the party Kylie told me, "This was the best day ever!" I am so glad that she had a good time. It was all worth it.

Megan, Hannah, Kylie and Kelsey


Big brother trying to scare the girls.....dont they look scared?

After the weekend of pumpkin patches, costume shopping and a party I am not so grouchy about Halloween. It helped remind me how important these times are for my kids and that I need to keep the excitement going for them so they have fond memories to look back on. My mom was always great at making wonderful memories for me.

Me Reminiscing about Halloween.....

When I was in Kindergarten I dressed up as a clown. My mom and dad wanted to put a small pillow in the rear of my costume so that I would have a big butt. It would have been really funny, but I refused!

My dad had a scary mask that he always put on every year. I can still remember the smell of the rubber inside the mask. I remember him dressing up as a backwards man with his suit on backwards and a card board face behind his head.

I remember going through a haunted house at the church for our ward party. They strung a mannequin through a pulley system so it came flying at you on the stage. I was so scared my dad had to carry me out.

I remember being so excited to go trick or treating and being like the organizer I am today, I would sort my candy into piles... chocolate, sour, suckers, gum, etc.

Good times! I will make sure my kids have a great Halloween!

1 comment:

Cami said...

You are a nice mom...I didn't spend that much on costumes. Last year I made my kids pick from our existing selection.