Last night I participated in my first Relay for Life event. The Holiday Inn, where I work, put together a team. If you are not familiar with this organization, it is a group for survivors of cancer, their families and for the friends and families who have lost a loved one to cancer. The event took place on Davis Field at Idaho State University. We set up our canopies and tents at our site and hauled our blanket pillows and treats in. I brought Kendall, Kylie and Kaiden with me. (Kelsey was performing in the Wizard of OZ) We had a great evening. Kenny came and picked up the boys and I kept Kylie with me through the night.
It was so inspiring to see the survivors make the first lap around the track. The crowd lined the sides of the track to applaud their bravery and tears flowed freely from those who had made it through. When a girl not more than 10 walked by, bald head covered with a hat, I was humbled and thankful that my children are healthy. Each team then waited to be called and made their way around the track with their banner. From this point on, one person from the team was to always be walking the track.
Later in the night when the sky became dark, they had the luminaria walk. The luminarias are white paper bags with sand and a candle inside. Each bag was purchased and lovingly decorated in memory of someone gone, someone survived. They turned the lights off in the field and asked for everyone to make a lap in silence. I had Kylie in hand as we made our way slowly, solemly around the track. I was overwhelmed as I walked past hundreds of luminarias. Some had pictures of those who succumbed to cancer, some had endearing names...one bag for a small boy had pictures of Pokemon and other things he loved. My eyes still tear up at the image forever burned in my memory. Kylie was especially affected by this event. She became very reverent and quiet (if you know Kylie, this is very unusual) When we had almost finished the lap, she became very worried when she saw a bag with the name Hall. (my maiden name) She aksed if that was our family member. I whispered to her that the name on that bag was someone else, but that her grandpa Hall's mother, Emily, had passed away from cancer when I was a little girl the same age as her. She was truely touched and wept softly for those who had passed away. She and I sat quietly for several minutes and let the power of the moment reach our hearts.
The rest of the night passed quickly. Kylie fell asleep shortly after midnight. It was very cold, and we finally headed home at 5AM.
I have always wondered how a bunch of people lighting candles, or walking or whatever else, could really make a difference to a cause and I dont know that my walking around will make a difference in the fight against cancer, but one thing is for sure ~ It made a difference in the heart of my daughter and me.
If you have never attended this event, I encourage you to find out when your community is holding it and attend!
No comments:
Post a Comment