Sunday, June 3, 2012

Turtle Butts and the National Anthem….Shout out to TANYA WILLIS!!

 

When I was in High School, a dear friend of mine, Tanya Willis (now Headrick), and I would sing the national anthem for football games, basketball games and a few assemblies.  She was soprano and I was alto.  She sang clear as a bell and my nerves always got the best of me, leaving my voice shaky.  The national anthem is a hard song to sing, and if you start out on the wrong note you will quickly find yourself trying to hit some preeeeettty high notes. To help us start out in the right key we brought along a ceramic turtle whistle.  One of my uncles made it and I ended up with it somehow.  It was little, green and fit right in your pocket. Only problem……the spot you blew into, was the turtles bum.  It just happened to whistle in the exact key we needed, so we toted the turtle around and blew in his bum and sang.  It was a beautiful thing.

That little story brings me to the REAL subject of my post, which is my daughter.  She and her friends sang the national anthem for a High School game. It brought back lots of memories.  I guess you could say, like mother like daughter….except Kelsey was not blessed with my nerves.  She sings clear as a bell. Just like Tanya.

IMG_3975

Kelsey and Maria

IMG_3976

Maria, Kelsey and Kimmie

National Anthem

IMG_3977

No comments: