Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Teenager #2

DSC_0213DSC_0210
(Don’t mind the hair. We got it trimmed a few days later.  Poor kid was born with some wicked crazy cowlicks'.)
Kendall turned 13 three days before Christmas.   THIRTEEN!!! I can’t believe we have two teenagers in the house.  Kendall is a kind and helpful young man.  He is a hard worker and I know if I send him to help his grandpa with a project, he will labor all day long without complaint.  He is eager to serve in his youth group and I am proud of his reverent manner each Sunday.  He is a good friend and I am proud of how he chooses to conduct himself when he is around others.  I appreciate how he tries to find ways to help me out around the house.  Yes, he is a sweet boy but gone are the days of a willing hug and kiss.  Instead I have to wrestle a hug out of him and a kiss on the cheek is met with a groan….but there is still the “I’m trying not to smile” smirk on his face and I know he loves it secretly.  Creeping in on his sweet disposition are temper flares and teenage eye rolls but I know it’s all part of the process.
Sometimes I pull out his baby photos and I feel a stab of sadness that my baby is no longer a baby.  My eyes caress the picture of those soft baby cheeks, I remember his sweet face and trusting eyes.  I remember the quiet moments I spent rocking him.  Sometimes I fast forward to the day he will leave for a mission.  Only six years.  I remind myself that six years will whiz by all to quickly.  What do I need to teach him before I send him out into the world?  How do I raise a wholesome young man in these crazy times?  Will we make it through the next six, life changing years in one piece?  What if he makes serious mistakes?  And then I think about all the mistakes I made in my youth.  All the detours I took and the heartache I caused my parents.  But I find comfort knowing he will only grow as a person by learning from his mistakes.  I have found that time heals many things and that no matter what he chooses to do, in the end he will be okay.   
Man, did I get off track from my “Happy” Birthday post! 
Back to celebrating……we gathered for dinner and had a relaxing evening out.  We ate, we visited, we chased our kids around and we celebrated the birth of one really awesome boy.  Happy Birthday, Kendall.  We love you.
It was a fun treat to have Tyson with us.  He is serving in Iraq and was home for 14 days of leave.
IMG_1428
Tyson, the great American Hero and awesome husband to my equally amazing sister, Becky. Ya, I like them.
DSC_0209DSC_0208 DSC_0216 DSC_0220 DSC_0223 DSC_0225

1 comment:

Jenny Bobo said...

Awww...I'm so sad! Why aren't we there?!!! Happy Birthday Kendall!