Thursday, January 6, 2011

Christmas Sweaters, Ties and Underwear....a Hall family tradition.

 This year we spent Christmas Eve at my parents house.  The evening held a dinner, ugly sweater contest, nativity play and a fascination with underwear. What can I say? We are weird like that. 

My mother, in true Karen Hall fashion, set a beautiful table.  The Christmas ambiance was tangible and I loved it. We had a yummy turkey dinner and were all truly grateful for my mothers fire extinguishing skills so we did not have to dine on a burnt turkey.  Good job mom!



Next up was the ugly sweater contest.  Now I SWEAR that the invitation said an ugly CHRISTMAS sweater but apparently any old sweater was fine.  I scoured the thrift stores and only came up with one sweater for Kelsey.  I mean there were plenty of ugly sweaters but we were looking for CHRISTMAS sweaters. We decided to embellish it a little.  Just a few googly eyes and some bows.  Oh and some garland.  I am the queen of hot glue.
 
Wanna see all the contestants?  Okay, here they are- 
The mom

The niece Zoey

The daughter Kelsey

The brother Jeff and sis in law Kim

 
The Dad
 
The brother Craig

The nephew Zander
    
The nephew Zeb
  
 
The sister Becky
The sister in law Susie

 
The brother in law Tyson

  
The sister in law Emma

The brother Ben

 Okay 45 minutes later I am really frustrated with the way you can't arrange pictures on blog spot. Sorry about all the spacing. I usually use Windows Live Writer for blogging but don't have it loaded on my new computer. I am putting that at the top of my to do list ASAP.

Anyway. I am of course saving the best picture for last...... Moi. Oh don't worry, I look tubular!

So not only is my CHRISTMAS sweater truly hideous, I decided to add some 80's hair and bulb earrings. 


I think we need a moment..... Just take it all in.  Let it marinate. The teddy bear.  The mailbox. The shapeless form. The bangs.  The side pony tail. I mean there is no questions who should win this contest right???  RIGHT???
Well the votes were tallied and there was a tie.  Between


Becky

Emma

Whatev... I cant believe they didn't pick me.  I mean that white floral sweater with shoulder pads and the teal number with a southwest collar were okay I guess....If you like non CHRISTMAS sweaters.
BUT WAIT!!! Just as we were making the tie breaking vote, there were two last minute entries.

Greg the brother in law and Jenny the sister joined us via Skype wearing this-
Christmas 2010 238
and this-
Christmas 2010 239
DRUM ROLL..........................................
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
 And the winner was Greg in his lovely holiday turtleneck/sweater vest combo. 
I'm going to have to take things up a notch next year.

One of my favorite things about Christmas Eve is the nativity play.  Ours is always.....interesting. The play was all ready to go until Mary and the donkey quit.  Here is Kylie begging Craig to fill in as the donkey.




Here is the cast with Craig the fill-in donkey and Becky the fill-in Mary.  Then we added the Eskimo.  Wait, What???  I don't know how these things happen but Zoey joined the cast as the cutest little Eskimo you have ever seen.



Grandpa read the story while Jeff held the phone so Greg and Jenny could hear us.  Everyone is waving, "Hi Greg and Jenny!"  We really missed them.


 Layla the sheep was having some difficulty with her snout.


So now we are down to the underwear and ties. I'm not really sure how it happened but this is the result-



My brothers. If that isn't disturbing I don't know what is.

I, being the amazing sister that I am, was generous enough to gift these fabulous Holiday Inn ties to the guys.  Don't worry, Greg.  See the tie around Craig's neck?  There's one coming your way!  You can thank me later.

  
My dad is so cute.

Just so you don't think we are complete bunch of freaks, here are some cute babies to look at.



Okay, I lied.  One more weird thing happened.  The Blue Lingerie Incident of 2010.   This story is one to be told to those who dare ask. :)  Poor unsuspecting Kim.



Yes.....That's an electric blue MEN'S thong.

Merry Christmas!!

5 comments:

Jenny Bobo said...

Ha ha ha!! We were laughing all the way through this. Greg can't wait to get the tie!! Sure missed you guys...and wish we could have been there to share in the chaos.

Mickenzie said...

Hilarious haha! What a fun family!!!!

Emma said...

We had so much fun! There's never a dull moment.

The Happy Halls said...

I belly laughed from beginning to end. Seriously though, where did I go wrong? It's a good job I love my insane children or I would have to commit them!

Nicole Hernandez said...

You guys are hillarious! I was laughing so hard. I loved your sweater by the way Tenae-but yes, the vest and turtleneck combo would have gotten my vote too!