Sunday, September 12, 2010

I am walking down another street


An Autobiography in Five Short Chapters
By Portia Nelson

Chapter 1.
 I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.  I fall in. I am lost...I am helpless. It isn't my fault. It takes forever to find a way out.
Chapter 2.
 I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I pretend I don't see it. I fall in again. I can't believe I am in the same place, but it isn't my fault.  It still takes a long time to get out.
Chapter 3.
I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I see it is there. I still fall in. It's a habit. My eyes are open. I know where I am. It is my fault. I get out immediately.
Chapter 4.
 I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I walk around it.
Chapter 5.
 I walk down another street.

I love this poem.  How often do I repeat the same pattern over and over.  Making the same choices until I am tired of falling into the hole in the sidewalk.  Once I realize the change must come from me, I am ready to learn the lesson.  Once I learn the lesson, I can move forward and walk down another street.
This applies to my life in all situations....heavy problems and small nuances.

As I read this I think about my feelings as a mother. I think about the late night hour I dread.  The hour where my house is quiet.  My husband and all my children are sleeping peacefully.  I am laying in bed but I cannot sleep.  The days events are running through my mind....
Kendall was trying to tell me something...I wasn't listening.  What did he say?  Kelsey made an extra effort and I didn't acknowledge it...do I praise her enough?  I scolded Kylie.  Did I see the look on her face when I reprimanded her?  I should have read that book to Kaiden... it would only have taken a minute or two. Did I tell any of them I loved them?  I forgot this.... I didn't do that.  The guilt stabs me in the chest and takes my breath away.  It makes my heart hurt.  The tears come.  Mostly from sheer exhaustion, I think. I say a little prayer and remind myself that tomorrow is a new day and I am walking down another street.

4 comments:

The Happy Halls said...

I love you

The Happy Halls said...

Would it help to know that I remember nights exactly like those? The guilt can be overwhelming at times but just as you stated, there is tomorrow and tomorrow after that and we just keep trying.

Kristi said...

Love the poem! I'm stealing it. :) Love you! You are the best mama, best sis, and best friend!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing! I love it! Your the one of the best little ladies I know and I'm grateful to have you in my life!