Kelsey is in the Girls select choir at school. She has a beautiful voice. I was glad to hear she was trying out for one of the solo parts for their Christmas program. She practiced and practiced for a week and on tryout day she made it! At the end of that week she got a respiratory virus along with the rest of the family. We hoped it would clear before the concert the next week. The day before the concert she was trying to practice and her voice was squeaking and cracking pretty good. She rinsed with salt water, drank some hot herbal tea and went to bed early hoping for a better result in the morning. As she tried to practice that morning it was worse. We talked about the fact she may not be able to sing.
It was decided at choir that day to find a replacement just in case. As I sat in the audience listening to her performance, I still wasn't sure if she would be singing. I caught her eye as the song started and she nodded no. I was so sad for her! You know those moments as a parent when your heart hurts and you wish you could change things so your child would not be disappointed or in pain? I felt that way especially as I watched Kelsey subtly mouth the words to her solo as she watched and listened to her replacement sing. I know this was not a life or death situation here but it was still hard to see her miss out after she had worked so hard to get that solo.
The battery on my camera was almost dead so Kenny only caught a little snippet of the song. (FYI- his camera skills are wild.)Here is Kelseys solo from last year.
1 comment:
I'm soooooo sad! :( That IS one of the heart-breaking moments...I can't imagine being the mom in the audience and seeing my sweet girl shake her head no at me. I choked up as the aunt reading this. Poor Kelsey! I hope another solo opportunity arrives for her next time.
Post a Comment