Saturday, June 6, 2009

Balance


It has been a very crazy month. Both at home and at work. I have really been thinking a lot about all the things I am trying to juggle, my priorities and just my balance as a person. I can feel certain areas of my life slipping. I am so busy that months go by before I start to notice that I need to make some changes in certain areas of my life. It seems that life is racing past me. The days slip through my fingers so quickly. I am missing the part where I should live in the moment and enjoy the journey. I have not given myself the quiet personal time I need to stay focused on the most important things. I feel that my schedule is managing me instead of me managing my schedule.

I learned a really great exercise at a training class. It gives you a quick snapshot of the balance in your life. It had been a year since I last took this test and I was a little disappointed that I had not grown more in some areas...in fact, some were worse! I have decided to use this tool on a quarterly or monthly basis to help get me where I want to be....Balanced.

Here is the exercise-

Draw a circle on a piece of paper



Draw lines through it like a pizza


Label each slice with one of the following:
Family
Spiritual
Mental
Physical
Financial
Vocational
Civic
Friends


Plot a dot in each section corresponding to how you feel you are doing in each area of your life. Close to the center is- not doing well and close to the edge is- doing very well. (This is my actual chart... I am just going to put it out there. yikes!)


Draw a line to connect each dot


This gives you a really clear idea of the areas that need some TLC. Ideally we want to be well balanced. I would love to have my chart look like this in the near future.

Some of my sections can be remedied with better time management but some need some nurturing. I hope to post a better balanced circle in a few months.

2 comments:

The Happy Halls said...

Hey dear
I remember well, going through the same cycles as you. I would rearrange my life periodically so that I could handle it and think "oh, I'm doing so well . . . I can handle more. Then I would find myself right back in the hole again. It was a crazy cycle. As I matured, I began to realize that I could only do so much and that was IT! I learned to say no and stick to it without feeling guilty. It is doubly hard with children the ages of yours. Life speeds up. That's when ALL extras have to go, to be able to manage the schedule. But first and foremost, you have to make time for prayer and personal scriptures. Even if something has to go - this will center your life faster than anything, I GUARANTEE it. I sure love you. You are an amazing woman. Mom

Tenae said...

Thank you mom. I really need to work on the prayers. I went to say my prayers the other night and realized I couldnt remember the last time I had said them! I just slowly got out of the habit and I was shocked because it happened so gradually I did'nt notice.