Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I'm not bitter

I don't want to do many posts where I rant but really wanted to share. I discussed it at length with my office coworkers today and even after venting to them, I am still a little irritated about it.
I took my kids to our ward harvest party last night. The food was great and the young men and women had set up some really fun booths and a spook ally. About an hour and a half after we were there I ran into my son, Kendall, in tears in the hallway. His friends were gathered around him with worried faces. Apparently some man in my ward spoke harshly to him about wearing a mask in the church building. He didn't know who it was. Okay, so....

A- If you have a problem with my child's costume, come and talk to me instead of yelling at him in the hallway and embarrassing him in front of his friends.

B- I guess there is an unspoken rule about wearing masks in the church building...which I am totally fine with and I support it, but I honestly did not know. (You know the unspoken rules like playing with face cards and drinking coke...I break both of those too.) I am going to H-E-double toothpicks.

C- There were other people wearing masks as well....did they get yelled at?

D- What if I had been an inactive or a new member. Would I have come back to church if someone yelled at my son like that?

I gathered up my kids after that and left because I was irritated and tired and my back hurt from carrying my 3 year old on my hip for a half hour because he was scared.
So, there it is, and now I will get over it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your title!!

Unknown said...

Hey, I am so sorry that that happened. Some people think that they are entitled to be jerks. I know Kendall, and that guy must have been really rude, otherwise, he would not have been that upset. I totally agree with you. I also noticed a few masks, but knew it was not my place to say anything. I feel for you wrestling with the kids and dealing with that mess to boot. You are a good woman. Don't let that dampen your spirit!

Ramsey said...

That is sad that someone yelled at your son. I'm sorry that happened. I agree with you that we have to be very careful how we treat others, especially children! My son would have reacted the same if someone had yelled at him. It looks like you made up for it today with you AWSOME pumpkin carvings! :)

Cami said...

That totally stinks!!! I was unaware of the rule, unwritten or not?!?!?!

What gives, what happened to being kind to kids and teaching livingly if needed....SERIOUSLY!!!!

ANY of my kids would have been crying...except Kymball who would have punched his lights out.