Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sack Lunches

I copied this awesome idea from Cami Ellis. I read it on her blog and HAD to pass it on. I personally HATE the packing of the lunches drama that unfolds in the morning, so I was excited to read this. I love the frozen sandwiches! Thanks Cami!

I have tried to simplify lunch packing this year. Each child gets one bin for all their snacks, drinks etc. for the whole week. If you have a child that is a snack sneaker...this is a good option. They will learn how to pack snacks so that their stash lasts the whole week. They can pack several snacks in one day...and then they will have to compensate by not taking a snack other days if they run out before the end of the week. So far it is working really well.

Another thing that works really well for me is to make sandwiches in a mass production. I made 20 sandwiches half ham & Cheese and half PB&J...label and freeze. By the time lunch comes the sandwich is defrosted and the meat hasn't been warm all morning. PB&J does freeze well...put peanut butter on both slices of bread and Jelly in between, it keeps the jelly from soaking into the bread. For a change from sandwiches I throw in some whole wheat bagels and cream cheese...and a tuna lunch kit for variety. Lunch packing was smooth this morning and took about 60 seconds...which is a nice change from "pack your lunch, hurry...run, the bell is ringing!

2 comments:

Liz said...

These ideas are brilliant. You are an amazing mom!

craig&susan said...

What great ideas. I'm going to have to remember those for our future crazy school days.