Okay. I have been breaking a commandment. You know, the one where you are supposed to build your food storage? I think food storage is awesome and I understand and whole heartedly support its purpose, but it scares me. I think my phobia stems from a few things. First would be the horrifying memories of drinking powdered milk and eating spam when I was growing up. Alright....so it wasn't that bad...actually the powdered milk really was that bad. :o) I am also a purger...this means that I do not keep things. I throw things away that have outlived their usefulness. It drives me crazy to store stuff that you really don't need and will never use again. My kids are always afraid to have me "help" clean their room because they know half of their stuff will disappear. I also hate moving stuff. So the pitiful amount of food storage that I have usually gets left behind in a move because we just don't want to bring it. I have wanted to try and build a food storage but it seems so overwhelming and I have no idea where to start. So I don't.
So... the point of this blog is that I attended the enrichment night dinner for my ward this evening. They served a really delicious meal and when we were all done they started an awesome program on food storage and how to cook with it. All the food we ate for dinner was from food storage....and I couldn't even tell! They served taquitos that were made with pvc? wait is that right? hold on...... it was TVP. I am still not sure exactly what that is but I ate some. I learned how to mix powdered milk and make it taste good. We sampled about 10 different things all made with food storage. The committee that put it together did a wonderful job. I am still really overwhelmed with the task and have images of wheat grinders and powdered eggs swirling in my head, but I think that my next new project is going to be food storage. I will start with the $15 a week food storage plan that tells you what to buy each week for 1 year. Any tips would be appreciated.
4 comments:
I'm wanting to get into this too and I am starting by figuring out how to save money when shopping. Anyway, please share what you learn and I will send my findings your way! Love ya.
oh, I just gave my mom this really great food storage plan for beginners. I did it (mostly) last year, and it is really good. I'll get a copy of it to ya.
If you go onto the church website you can order beginning food storage. You can order a case of six #10 cans of, quick oats, pinto beans, rice, and wheat. this is a very good start. Emma and I have several cases of each. They are a good price and you don't pay shipping. Also If you live near a Winco you can get lots of good food storage items from the bulk section. you can have them order bags in of items you want. I hope this helps.
That was fun huh??? I attended another ward's activity that was similar to ours. It was such a great idea, we had to do it with our ward. That was the first night I had TVP...i thought it was really good. Unbenounced to Josh, I ordered some, and served it tonight on nachos...not even a peep!
Post a Comment